- Salvage crews towed a corroded 6,800-ton South Korean ferry and loaded it onto a semi-submersible transport vessel Saturday, completing what was seen as the most difficult part of the massive effort to bring the ship back to shore.
Government officials say it will take a week or two to bring the vessel to a port 90 kilometers (55 miles) away so that investigators could search for the remains of nine missing people, who were among the 304 who died when the Sewol capsized April 16,...
- Some Americans breathed a sigh of relief, others bubbled with frustration, and nearly all resigned themselves to the prospect that the latest chapter in the never-ending national debate over health care would not be the last.
The withdrawal of the Republican-sponsored health bill in the face of likely defeat Friday in the U.S. House seemed to ensure that the deep divisions over the Affordable Care Act and its possible replacement would continue to simmer.
As news spread, Americans fell...
- Friday’s surprising move by U.S. Republican leadership to pull the bill known as the American Health Care Act was partly because of its rejection by a small group of conservative Republicans known as the Freedom Caucus.
The leader, Mark Meadows of North Carolina, said in a statement Friday that he had promised voters he would fight not only for a full repeal of the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, but also “a replacement with a market-driven approach that brings down costs...
- U.S. cybersecurity firm CrowdStrike has revised and retracted statements it used to buttress claims of Russian hacking during last year's American presidential election campaign. The shift followed a VOA report that the company misrepresented data published by an influential British think tank.
In December, CrowdStrike said it found evidence that Russians hacked into a Ukrainian artillery app, contributing to heavy losses of howitzers in Ukraine's war with pro-Russian...
- Khmerload, a Cambodian entertainment news website modeled after the American media giant Buzzfeed, has become the country’s first local tech startup to attract the backing of Silicon Valley investors.
A $200,000 investment to be exact.
The money came from 500 Startups, a global venture capital seed fund and startup accelerator founded by PayPal and Google alumni, Dave McClure and Christine Tsai, who took notice of the website, launched five years ago.
The grant pushed the...
- The U.N. Security Council on Friday unanimously adopted a resolution condemning the destruction of cultural heritage sites and warned that attacks such as those carried out in recent years by al-Qaida, Islamic State and other terror groups could constitute war crimes.
The 15-member council singled out terrorist attacks on historic monuments like the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra, whose most precious artistic and architectural treasures were demolished in several waves of attacks since...
- U.S. officials say Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will meet with members of the NATO alliance next week, following criticism over his initial decision to skip a NATO foreign ministers meeting.
State Department officials say Tillerson will meet NATO members on March 31 in Brussels. Foreign ministers from NATO countries were originally scheduled to gather in Brussels on April 5-6. It is not clear if the new meeting will replace the April dates.
There was no official statement from...
- Key U.S. lawmakers appear locked into a war of words over halting progress in their investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election campaign.
The latest skirmish was sparked by the abrupt cancellation Friday of an open hearing set to feature top former intelligence officials. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, a California Republican, argued that it was instead necessary to hear closed-door testimony from the directors of the FBI and the National...
- An anti-terrorism court in Pakistan has put three online bloggers in the custody of a federal agency for a week so it can investigate blasphemy charges against them and determine whether they should be formally tried and punished.
Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency, or FIA, arrested the three men earlier this week as part of an ongoing crackdown on suspects involved in posting blasphemous material on social media.
Authorities say that laptops of the detainees have also been seized...
- A criminal incident in a school outside Washington, D.C., has fueled allegations that illegal immigrants are dangerous despite evidence that immigrants — legal and illegal — commit crimes at lower rates than the rest of the population, according to research from several organizations.
Parents, protesters and activists have descended on schools in Montgomery Country, Maryland, where a 14-year-old girl allegedly was raped last week by two classmates, at least one of whom was an...
- United Nations Security Council members have unanimously called on South Sudan's leaders to prioritize the needs of the South Sudanese people, but disagree over the main causes of the famine in parts of the country.
At a Thursday briefing in New York, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Security Council members that the humanitarian crisis "continues to deepen." The U.N. chief told the council 100,000 South Sudanese are affected by famine, another one...
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has started rehabilitating some of the dilapidated Zimbabwe prisons, most built during the colonial era. The first one to be refurbished — Mlondolozi Prison, about 500 kilometers southwest of Harare — houses mentally ill inmates.
Among the improvements, the prison now has better ventilation and natural lighting within patients' cells, as well as improved water and sanitation facilities, according to Thomas Merkelbach, the head the...
- Kenya on Friday recognized World Tuberculosis Day by releasing results of a TB study by the country's ministry of health — the first of its kind since Kenya's independence. TB remains high in Kenya, and experts say the country lags in the fight against the disease.
The survey represents a united front by many committed parties to determine the true burden of tuberculosis and how to best combat the fourth-leading cause of death in Kenya.
The survey is intended to provide...
- As police race to identify what motivated a 52-year-old British-born father to carry out Wednesday's attack at the Houses of Parliament in Westminster, a debate is simmering in the country over issues of identity, religion and immigration — already hot topics in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union. VOA's Henry Ridgwell reports.
- The U.S. State Department has asked American embassies and consulates around the world to identify certain groups that should get extra scrutiny when they apply for visas.
A series of directives also instructs U.S. diplomatic posts overseas to review the social media accounts of visa applicants who are suspected of terrorist ties or of having been in Islamic State group-controlled areas.
The diplomatic cables sent by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson directed embassies to convene...
- A member of India's Parliament was unrepentant after repeatedly slapping the 62-year-old duty manager of an Air India flight with his sandal in a rage over a coupon for a business-class seat on an economy-only class flight.
Police opened an investigation against Ravindra Gaikwad, a member of Parliament, after Air India filed a pair of complaints that he had assaulted one of its crew Thursday and delayed the plane's next flight to Goa, disrupting the schedules of its 150...
- Eleven Syrians were killed when their inflatable boat sank off the country's Aegean coast, Turkish media reported Friday.
The Dogan news agency said five of the dead were children, and a baby rescued in critical condition was among 11 people who survived the accident.
Television footage showed rescue workers standing next to covered bodies near the Turkish resort town of Kusadasi. Media reports said two Turks, thought to be people-smugglers, had been detained.
The boat capsized...
- The Correspondents
- With the fight between Iraqi forces and Islamic State intensifying in the narrow streets of western Mosul, IS fighters are changing their suicide tactics in hopes of causing large numbers of casualties among civilians and troops, Iraqi officials told VOA.
IS militants are predominantly using belts laden with explosives to stop enemy advances as fighting is concentrated in alcoves and alleyways where IS's known method of using suicide car bombs is not possible, say Iraqi commanders on...
- President Donald Trump asked Republican Party leaders to withdraw a controversial health care bill shortly before it was due to be voted on Friday because it became clear there were not enough votes to pass the measure.
Trump said "we were very, very close" to passing the ruling party's version of a bill intended to replace the Affordable Care Act signed into law by former President Barack Obama seven years ago.
House Speaker Paul Ryan played a leading role in the effort...
- መንግስቲ ኬንያ ኣብ መንጎ ኬንያን ሶማልን ርኽብ ንግዲ ንኽድንፍዕን ሰባት ከም ልቦም ንኽመላለሱ ምስ ሶማል ዘዋስን ዶብ ኽከፍቶ’የ ክብል ኣፍሊጡ።
- ማእከል መኸላኸሊ ሕማማት ኣፍሪቃ (CDC) ናይ ሓሙሽተ ዓመታት ውጥን ሎሚ ገሊጹ። እዚ ትካል ኣብ 2013 ዓ.ም ዝተወጠነ ኮይኑ ብሰንኪ ኣብቲ እዋን ዝነበረ ለበዳ ሕማም ኢቦላ ምስረትኡ ዘቐላጠፈ ትካል’ዩ።
- ማእከል መኸላኸሊ ሕማማት ኣፍሪቃ (CDC) ናይ ሓሙሽተ ዓመታት ውጥን ሎሚ ገሊጹ።
እዚ ትካል ኣብ 2013 ዓ.ም ዝተወጠነ ኮይኑ ብሰንኪ ኣብቲ እዋን ዝነበረ ለበዳ ሕማም ኢቦላ ምስረትኡ ዘቐላጠፈ ትካል’ዩ።
- አቶ ሃብታሙ አያሌው ኣብ ኢትዮጵያ ወሃቢ ቃል ተቓዋሚ ፓርቲ ሓድነት ዝነበሩ ኮይኖም ብተግባር ግብረ ሽበራ ተኸሲሶም ኣብ ቤት ማእሰርቲ ንክልተ ዓመታት ኣብ ዝነበርሉ እዋን ዝወረደኒ ኸቢድ ስቓይ ነዚ ሎሚ ዘጋጠመኒ ጸገም ጥዕና አቃሊዑኒ ይብሉ።
ኣብ ቤት ማእሰርቲ ዝፍጸሙ ጭካነ ዘለዎም ናይ መርመራ ሜላታት ንመብዛሕትኦም እሱራት ንሞትን ንዝተፈላለየ ጸገማት ጥዕናን ከምዘቓለዖም ይገልጹ። "ንኾላሊትካ ብየማንን ብጸጋምን ብኣጻብዕቶም እናደርቀቑ ሽንትኻ ከምዘይትቆጻጸር ይገብሩኻ" ዝበሉ ኣቶ ሃብታሙ፡ ኢትዮጵያዊ ጨዋነት ኣገዲዱካ ክትጠቕሶ ዘይትደሊ ካብ ሃይማኖትን ካብ ኢትዮጵያውነት ባህልን ወጻኢ `ነውሪ` ዝብሃል ነገራት ኣብ ልዕሊ`ቶም እሱራት ከምዝፍጸም ገሊጾም።
ድምጺ ኣሜሪካ ምስ አቶ ሃብታሙ አያሌው ዘካየዶ ቃለ መጠይቕ ኣብዚ ምስማዕ ይክኣል።
- ሱዳን ንኬሚካላዊ ኣጽዋራት ናይ ዝኽልክል ትካል ምኽትል ሓላፊት ኮይና።ተንትነቲ ግን ንተኣማንነት እቲ ትካል ኣብ ሕቶ ዘውድቕ እዩ ይብሉ’ለው።መንግስቲ ሱዳን ኣብ ልዕሊ ህዝቢ ዳርፉር ኬሚካላዊ ኣፃዋር ተጠቒሙ ክብል ኣምነስቲ ኢንተርናሽናል ኣብ ዝሓለፈ ዓመት ኸሲሱዎ ነይሩ’ውን ይብሉ።
- Ousted Egyptian Leader Mubarak Freed from Jail
- Republicans Scramble to Salvage Health Care Bill
ሰሜን ኮርያ ካብ ዓሚ ጀሚራ ኣብ ትሕቲ ጽኑዕ እገዳ ቤት ምኽሪ ጸጥታ ሕ/ሃ ትርከብ። እንተኾነ ፕዮንግያን ንኤርትራ ወሲኹ ዕዳጋ ኣጽዋር ኣብ ኣፍሪቃ ረኺባ ከምዘላ ሓድሽ መጽናዕቲ ኣረጋጊጹ።
እታ ግልልቲ ሃገር ናብ ዕዳጋታት ኣፍሪቃ ክትኣቱ ከላ ግና ንከይትፍለጥ ኢላ ዝተፈላለዩ ሜላታት ከምትጥቀም’ውን እቲ ሪፖርት ገሊጹ።
'ሰሜን ኮርያ ኣጽዋራት፣ ወትሃደራዊ ናውቲ፣ ካብ መርየት ናብ ሰማይ ዝውንጨፍ ሚሳይል፣ ራዳራት፣ ሰብ ዝጾሮ ጸረ ሚሳይል፣ ዝተፈላለዩ ዘበናዊ ኣቑሑትን ኣገልግሎታትን ናብ ሃገራት ኣፍሪቃ ትሸይጥ ኣላ' ይብል ኣቦ መንበር ኮሚተ ትግባረ እገዳ ሰሜን ኮርያ ሚስተር ህዩ ግሪፊዝ።
ሚ/ር ግሪፊዝ ብዛዕባ ኤርትራ ክዛረብ ከሎ ’እዚ ኮሚቴ ኣብ 2015, 2016ን ሎሚ ድማ ኣብ 2017 ኣብ ዘቕረቦም ዛዛሚ ሪፖርታት...
- ትማሊ ረቡዕ ኣብ ጥቓ ፓርላማ ብሪጣንያ መጥቓዕቲ ዝፈፀመ ውልቀሰብ ኣብ ብሪጣኒያ ዝተወልደ ወዲ 52 ዓመት ኻሊድ መስዑድ ዝተባህለ ምዃኑ ፖሊስ ለንደን ገሊፁ።
- Trump, Republican Leaders Struggling to Find Votes for Health Care Overhaul
- Jewish Israeli Arrested Over Bomb Threats Against US Jewish Centers
- ኣብ ኢትዮጵያ ኣብ ህዝባዊ ቦታ ሽጋራ ምትኻክ ብሕጊ ክልኹል እንተኾነ ኣብ መዳይ ትግባረ’ቲ ሕጊ ግን ምምሕያሽ ተጌሩዩ ክብል ሚኒስተር ጥዕና ኢትዮጵያ ኣፍሊጡ።
- ሓደ ካብቶም ዕጥቃዊ ቃልሲ ህወሓት ዝፈለሙ ምዃኖም ዝፍለጥ ኣይተ ኣስገደ ገብረስላሴ ብፅኑዕ ከምዝሓመሙ ይዝረብ'ሎ።
- ኣብ ኣመሪካ ካብ ወርሒ ጥሪ ክሳብ ወርሒ ሚያዝያ፡ ግብሪ ንመንግስቲ ዝኽፈለሉ እዋን`ዩ። ከፈልቲ ግብሪ ማዕረ ክንደይ ግዴታኦም ይፈልጡ? ማዕረ ክንደይ`ከ እኹል ሓበሬታ ኣለዎም? ንምዃኑ ሕሳብ ተወራሪዱ ክምለሰና ዝግባእ ገንዘብ ብግቡእ`ዶ ንፈልጦን ንከታተሎን?
ኣቶ መንግስ ዘሚኪኤል ወናኒ ኣገልግሎት ስፒዲ ታክስ ከምኡ ድማ ኣቶ በርሀ ኣብርሃ ወናኒ (BABC Tax ) ክልቲኦም ካብ ዋሺንግተን ዲሲ ተዓዲሞም ኣለዉ።
ምሉእ ትሕዝቶ ኣብዚ ምስማዕ ይክኣል።
- ዓለምለኸ ኮሚቴ ቀይሕ መስቀልን ቀይሕ ወርሕን/ICRC/ኣብ ሰለስተ ሃገራት ኣፍሪቃን የመንን ሚሊዮናት ሰባት ግዳያት ሞት ክገብር ዝኽእል ዓፀቦ ንምእላይ ሰለስተ፣ኣርባዕተ ኣዋርሕ ግዜ እዩ ዘለና ክብል ኣጠንቂቑ።
- ኣብ መንጎ ገዛኢ ፓርቲ ኢትዮጵያን ተቓወምቲ ውድባትን ኣብ ዝካየድ መስርሕ ልዝብ ዘቐረቡ ሕቶታት ኣወንታዊ ምላሽ እንተድኣ ዘይረኺቦም እቲ ዝርርብ ከቋርፁዎ ከምዝኽእሉ ኣቦ መንበር ተቓዋሚ ፓርቲ መድረኽ ገሊፆም።
- 4 Dead in Vehicle, Knife Attack Near British Parliament
VOA60 America - Secretary of State Tillerson comes under fire for his decision not to attend his first meeting with 28 NATOUS Secretary of State Rex Tillerson comes under fire for his decision not to attend his first meeting with 28 NATO
- ኣብ መጥቃዕቲ ብሪጣንያ ቁጽሪ ናይ ዝተቐትሉ ሰባት ኣርባዕተ ከምዝበጽሐ ተሓቢሩ። ካብቶም ዝሞቱ ሓደ ኣጥቅዓይ ምዃኑ ዝተኣምነሉን ፖሊስን ይርከብዎም።
- ናይ ሕቡራት ሃገራት ቤት ምኽሪ ሰብኣዊ መሰላት ኣብ ዝሓለፈ ሰሙን 13 መጋቢት,2017 ዓ.ም ካብ ፍልይቲ ራፖርተር ንአተሓሕዛ ሰብአዊ መሰላት ኤርትራ ሺላ ኪትሩት ጸብጻብ ሰሚዑ።
መንግስቲ ኤርትራ’ውን ምላሽ ሂቡሉ’ሎ።
ዝተፈላለየ ሃገራትን ጉጅለታት ተሓለቅቲ መሰላትን ርእይቶአን ሂበናሉ’ለዋ።
- US President Donald Trump suffers a major setback as his healthcare bill is withdrawn from Congress.
- A judge rules the 18-year-old can stay in US as he faces political persecution in Singapore.
- Police seek the public's help in establishing if Westminster attacker Khalid Masood acted alone.
- The UN looks into reports that 200 people, mostly civilians, died in an air strike in the past week.
- BBC Click's Lara Lewington looks at some of the best of the week's technology news stories.
- Social media claims 14 girls have recently disappeared from DC. The truth is more complicated.
- Germany "lost" World War Two but is now being helped to "win the peace", veteran Tory politician says.
- Hong Kong chooses its next leader amid fierce divisions over stalled political reform in the city.
- Ex-Congolese militia leader ordered to pay $1m (£800,000), but he is broke.
- The BBC’s technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones gets a beer poured for him by a robotic barman - but how long does it take?
- At least 11 people killed a sheep, undressed, and chained themselves up at the former Nazi camp.
- Amid a worsening economic crisis, President Maduro of Venezuela asks the United Nations for help.
- A mature stag has learnt how to use its antlers to lift bird feeders off garden trees.
- Actress "felt alone" but decided to talk about her struggles with body image in public.
- Alberto Mohamed returns to East Timor to find his family after 32 years.
- How illegal diamond mining is threatening the way of life of the Cinta Larga indigenous group in Brazil.
- An astrologer in South Africa is fighting to get "magic" mushrooms legalised for use in spiritual ceremonies.
- A selection of the best news photographs from around the world, taken over the past week.
- Bear Grylls is afraid of cocktail parties, and more news nuggets.
- The picture puts a spotlight on benefits being stripped out of latest healthcare bill revisions.
- Aurora-hunters came from around the world and were left awestruck by the display.
- What evidence is there that Finland's famous baby boxes actually reduce infant mortality rates?
- How, as a cub reporter, the BBC's long-serving foreign correspondent witnessed the EEC's creation.
- The BBC's Jeremy Bowen inside Mosul explains the challenges Iraq will face when IS are defeated.
- The Arctic teacher was recognised last week for her work in the remote Quebec community of Salluit.
- Claims the Kremlin tried to influence the US election are the latest move in a long story of mistrust.
- For centuries, people in the Alps have attributed health issues, headaches in particular, to the mountain wind known as the Foehn.
- The BBC examines the unusual photo of Kim Jong-un giving a piggyback to a military officer.
- Republic of Ireland skipper Seamus Coleman suffers a broken leg in his side's goalless draw with Wales at the Aviva Stadium.
- Neil Taylor is sent off as 10-man Wales hold Republic of Ireland to a goalless draw, with the hosts losing Seamus Coleman to a broken leg.
- British Olympic and Paralympic sport must improve its record on athlete welfare, says Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson.